Thursday, May 18, 2023

What Are Your Top Five Live Music Moments

 

Metallica Bonnaroo 2008 PMGC

One of the questions always asked of new music fanatics that I meet is: What is your top live music moment? What shows will stay with you forever - and why. Go ahead and take a few to ponder this yourself. What made it so special? Was it your favorite song? A special super group of musicians? 

I'll share some of mine and I'd love to hear about yours. 

My Morning Jacket Peach Festival August 2017 

Blowin' in the Wind ->Melissa->All Things Must Pass->Beautiful Ones

It's safe to say that, except for Madison Square Garden, I've never not seen My Morning Jacket in the rain. This show was no exception. Opting to be the cool kids on the side of the ski slope at Montage Mountain, we donned the rain gear and danced up a storm in the deluge.

Have you ever cried your eyes out in a rainstorm? 2016 was a pretty horrible sad year for loss and 2017 wasn't fairing any better. When Blowin' in the Wind transitioned to Melissa ... all emotions were released. The Peach Festival was pretty much an Allman's festival. With the loss of Greg in May of 2017, we all know there would be a lot of special tributes. This would be one of them. After a beautiful nod to George Harrison, the familiar notes of a song no one expected drifted across the Pennsylvania night, rain soaked sky ... Beautiful Ones by Prince. At this point, the mass memorial for our dearly departed artists was on. It was cathartic, cleansing, and just a beautiful moment in music. 

Pearl Jam Bonnaroo 2008 

Betterman

It looks like the Milly Way I had just commented as the lighters were flickering in the hot Tennessee evening. Bonnaroo 2008 was the first festival that Pearl Jam had played since the Roskilde Festival in Germany saw eight fans trampled to death. We all knew how special it would be for the band, especially when 70,000 fans could peacefully converge upon a Tennessee farm. It was the 18th song and the first of three encores. The audience took over singing for Eddie and you could feel the energy and you could feel his joy. To quote Eddie, This is fucking beautiful. It was beautiful and so very special. (Use link to watch via YouTube - the video is blocked Pearl Jam - Better Man (Bonnaroo '08) - YouTube)

(c) Jeff Kravitz

U2 - Live Under the Brooklyn Bridge November 2004 
I Will Follow

When you get a phone call that one of your all-time favorite bands is playing less than 100 yards from where you sit at work, it's hard to not be excited. 
U2 was playing under the Brooklyn Bridge. I could not contain myself. My coworkers had never seen me so excited. Not only did Bono sound incredible, his voice was so strong, I kept thinking that it was also the anniversary of Michael Hutchence's passing. Michael and Bono were friends. The thought stayed in the back of my brain as the hits were played. Out of Control and I Will Follow were magical. The Irish flag was brought out, the crowed danced and jumped, there was such an energy with the backdrop of Manhattan sparkling across the river. 
And after everyone left and we took some photos, I went to make my way to the deli before my night shift. And there he was. The man himself walking towards their trailer. I stopped thanked him and simply said You sounded so wonderful. This night was for Hutch. And then yer man Bono hugged me. I'm still looking for anyone who has that photo. I don't care if it's CCTV surveillance footage. 


Mad Dogs and Englishmen - Lockn 2015
Space Captain

When anyone says they are going to re-create the infamous Joe Cocker Mad Dogs and Englishmen at a festival with some of today's phenomenal talent along with some of the original members, you better buckle up. All songs were spectacular, including Susan Tedeschi's version of The Letter and the finale, With a Little Help from My Friends with Leon Russel. But it was Space Captain with Tedeschi and Chris Robinson splitting vocals - reminding us that we are all learning to live together. When you're surrounded by tens of thousands of fans, all gathered for the same purpose, that does sound so easy. 


Levon Helm Bonnaroo - 2008
The Weight

Okay, Bonnaroo 2008 was pretty phenomenal. Hearing that Levon Helm was going to play his first of a few shows following cancer treatments was a gift. Standing near Levon with two of your closest drummer friends was a blessing. The excitement to see Levon behind the drums and hear that famous voice was magic. But it was The Weight that we all needed. 


So this was definitely a difficult list. There are so many amazing music moments that are honorable mentions. Temple of the Dog at Madison Square Garden in 2016, Boy George at Irving Plaza in 2014, INXS at The Metro in Syndey 2000, Gary Clark Jr and Jimmy Vaughan at the Iridium...so many. 

I do have to add though, a magical moment of someone whose name I didn't get but he provided me with the realization that Jeff Buckley would never be forgotten. 
Cantab, Cambridge Mass in 2021. He began with a poem that was way too Dylan but it also hinted of Buckley. Then he played. 

He began the chords that haunt me, Jeff Buckley's Lover, You Should've Come Over. After crying through the entire song, I was able to tell him not only how wonderful he was, but that Jeff played that very song a few blocks away at The Middle East. It was, and will forever be, a musical highlight.

And then there are the ones that never happened. Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jeff Buckley, George Michael, Nina Simone, and on and on. So what's my point here. Go see shows. Go see them all. And on top of everything, remember that when you talk during that one song you don't like, it could be someone's favorite. 




Gogol Bordello - City Winery 2021 PMGC



Okay I am cheating. I have a moment not defined by setlist but by a life defining moment:
May 12, 2005
Dark Star Orchestra 
Nokia Theatre



Right after Dark Star performed a show by The Warlocks from October 8, 1989 Hampton Beach, my true love asked me to marry him. 

I said "absolutely 100% yes!" 

The band went into They Love Each Other and then into a jamming Good Lovin' before the house lights went on and Hey, Hey Paula could be heard wafting through the departing crowd. 







No comments:

Post a Comment