Thursday, May 28, 2015

122 St. Marks

May 29th marks the anniversary of the passing of Jeff Buckley. Over 20 years since anyone received a phone call from him, heard his angelic voice, or took a picture of this mystery white boy. But since his passing, another loss we have come to bear is the decrease in live music venues such as Sin-e, CBGB's, and the Bottom Line.

The live music scene is where Jeff not only was found, but where he thrived. Becoming so famous at one point and loving the stage, Buckley would play under fake names. To appease his fans why he would play under the guise of Possessed by Elves or, A Puppet Show Named Julio:
 
There was a time in my life not too long ago when I could show up in a cafe and simply do what I do, make music, learn from performing my music, explore what it means to me, i.e. have fun while I imitate and/or entertain an audience who don't know me or what I am about. In this situation I have that precious and irreplaceable luxury of failure, of risk, of surrender. I worked very hard to get this kind of thing together, this work forum. I have loved it and then I missed it when it disappeared. All I am doing is reclaiming it.

122 St. Marks Place - former home of Sin-e   2015pcarlson
 
Jeff was a true artist and musical spirit filled his body. His lyrics were our poems, his muse was love, the Village, and the acceptance of his brevity. His allure is still alive. While still amazed that not everyone has heard of Jeff, it makes him more enigmatic that a few are gifted the wonder of Grace. This almost inaccessibility of Jeff is seemingly turned off so a very few can meet him for the first time each year. In his passing, it is almost as if he has achieved his goal of anonymity.
 
I have no advice for anybody; except to, you know, be awake enough to see where you are at any given time, and how that is beautiful, and has poetry inside. Even places you hate.
~
  Jeff Buckley

 
 
Sin-e 1995
 


No comments:

Post a Comment