Sunday, February 23, 2020

No ØRD†NARY MAN : Ozzy Osbourne

Copyright Sony Music / Epic Records

Speaking about the recording, he commented that the entire album process is done "in just a short time", adding "Duff and Chad came in and we would go in and jam during the day and I would go work out the songs in the evenings. I previously had said to Sharon I should be doing an album, but in the back of my mind I was going, 'I haven't got the fucking strength.' But Andrew pulled it out of me. I really hope people listen to it and enjoy it, because I put my heart and soul into this album.

Who has ever considered Ozzy and ordinary man? And this is definitely no ordinary album. Ordinary Man, Ozzy's first solo in ten years, is stocked with talent, brimming with Sabbath sounds, and highlights the Prince of Darkness's unforgettable voice. He's 71 and still putting out better songs and albums than those not even half his age. Highly recommend giving this album a listen.

Osbourne and producer / guitarist Andrew Watt recruited heavy hitting musicians: Chad Smith, Slash, Duff McKagan, Travis Scott, Tom Morello, Post Malone, and even Elton John. The album is full of nods to Sabbath, bands such as Metallica, and is also very contemplative of Ozzy's life and his future. Ozzy is 71 and battling Parkinson's Disease. But in typically Ozzy style, there are a few serious moments followed by honest sarcasm and moments of trying not to take the situation too seriously. 

Watt enlisted some famous friends to help, and the first call was to Red Hot Chili Pepper's drummer Chad Smith. I was like "Ozzy wants us to make and album."and he was like "When? When are we doing it? Let's do it. Let's do it. Let's do it." ....and we need a bass player. So I called Duff up from Guns N Roses...and Duff was like "When? When? When?" Andrew Watt - iTunes review.


Straight to Hell
Of course it starts with a choir, a driving solo, and then the unmistakable Ozzy. Classic Ozzy sound and he makes it sound as if both he and you will enjoy a trip to hell together.

All My Life
This song is a contemplative talk with ones' self. Definitely has a No More Tears feel, but much more deep in lyrics. 
Heaven can take me
But no one can save me from hell again
You'll never erase me
I'm back on the road again

Goodbye
The Prince of Darkness is alive and well on this song and so is Iron Man. It's a march towards all of our destiny with a nod to not giving up. And keeping his sardonic humor he asks, Do they sell tea in heaven?"

Ordinary Man
This is by far one of the most beautiful songs about self-reflection by an artist ever. Ozzy knows the path he's on and what's he's facing. This song was a very pleasant surprise, even if

Yes, I've been a bad guy
Been higher than the blue sky
And the truth is I don't wanna die an ordinary man
I've made momma cry
Don't know why I'm still alive
Yes, the truth is I don't wanna die an ordinary man

Many times I've lost control
They tried to kill my rock 'n' roll
Just remember I'm still here for you
I don't wanna say goodbye
When I do, you'll be alright
After all, I did it all for you

 
Under the Graveyard
If Ordinary Man was our first real glimpse of what Ozzy's thinking about his demise, well Under the Graveyard really puts you in his mindset. Death is weighing heavy on him and then he reminds us - we're all going there alone. Heavy subject and solid song with a massive and wound up solo ending.

Eat Me
Ozzy doesn't want us to be sad and take all this talk about mortality and death seriously. 

Today is the End
This song is seeped in Metalica and Alice Chains  in deed ... it's seeped in the 90's in general. The chorus melody hysterically paints a happy picture given that we're talking about the end of days.

Scary Little Green Men
Take me to your leader.

Holy for Tonight
I had the Credence Clearwater vibes at the beginning few beats and some Pink Floyd in the chorus... I had to lighten up this song becaause it is so sad and it's essentially Ozzy singing about his last moments. He does ask all the questions we have and that's why this song feels so personal.

What will I think of when I speak my final words?
What will it feel like? And I wonder if it hurts
I've just got a mile and I can taste the kiss of death
What will I think of when I take my final breath?


It's a Raid
You need this song after Holy for Tonight. Ozzy recounts the night he called the police on himself. Ha Ha Ha!!!! This song has a heavy drive ... the heaviest on the album ... makes you feel like running.
 

Take What You Want
Great collaboration with Post Malone on this song, wrought with anger and obviously a lover who has hurt him. Maybe this is the woman from Close Your Eyes?


Furthermore he believes that Ordinary Man "is like driving a clown car through a wake. It's great, fast fun even when it's sad" ~ A.D. Amorosi of Variety .  

Rex / Shutterstock


No comments:

Post a Comment