Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Eyes In a Moon of Blindness: Rattle and Hum at 35




...It's a musical journey

It's no secret that the critics panned this entire effort of U2. The video documentary of their tour following their blast to stardom after The Joshua Tree release amalgamated the distinct artistic eyes of Phil Joanou and Phil Corbijn. Jimy Iovine envisioned the journey that captured U2's exploration of America through the eyes of the young Irish musicians. It was not an easy sell, not even for music critics who hailed the album as  "excitement", another described it as "misguided and bombastic". Either way, this piece of rock history was captured and has had staying power. I guess it could be said that Rattle and Hum has matured well. Whether or not they were trying to create the next Scorcese-esque video documentary, we may never know, however the album and movie capture U2 at some of their best live performances. Below is the album review and sadly so many great performances were left off, such as Sunday Bloody Sunday and Exit, two performances filled with passion and captured the essence of live U2. 


Helter Skelter 
 The opening is raw and angry and perfect for a band who is about to go off amidst critics rambling about their delusions of grandeur ... ironic what comes next for the band isn't it?



Van Dieman's Land 
One of Edge's few vocal leads, this haunting song about the prison land that many Irish were sent to remains haunting. 
...I wrote a song called 'Van Diemen's Land' which touches on that on the new album. I was interested in the history of this character, John Boyle O'Reilly. I was out one day with my wife Aislinn and we came upon this monument in County Meath. At the entrance to it was this faded brown newspaper clipping which gave the history of his life. How he was a member of the British Army in Ireland. He left the British army and became a Fenian and wrote Fenian poetry. He was arrested by the British Government and was charged with writing material that was liable to undermine the government and was deported to Australia for 20 years' hard labour. He was, to me, a prisoner of conscience in a way. He was not a man of violence and he was sent away for 20 years so I wrote a song about that." - The Edge, NME 1988 

Desire
Desire' is a little classic, a little 45. Edge took the beat from The Stooges' '69, which was their take on the Bo Diddley beat. The rhythm is the sex of the music. I wanted to own up to the religiosity of rock'n'roll and the fact that you get paid for them. On one level, I'm criticizing the lunatic fringe preachers 'stealing hearts at a travelling show' but I'm also starting to realize there's a real parallel between what I am doing and what they do. - Bono, U2 By U2 2006
 
Hawkmoon 269
Bono says the song was inspired by the writings of gifted Sam Shephard and that it achieved its title because 269 was how many takes it took to get this song complete. There is a burning desire for someone in this song.


All Along the Watchtower
Bono's politics on full display as he covers the Hendrix / Dylan  tune and defaces public property. 
 

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Performed with a Harlem church choir - this version is stripped down to basics.

Freedom For My People


Silver And Gold
I was listening to a John Lee Hooker track and I asked, 'Who's playing the drums?' 'That's his foot,' Keith [Richards] said. 'He was just kicking at the floorboards.' I was blown out of it. I left with my head in a spin and I went back to my hotel room on my own and wrote 'Silver And Gold' and tried to apply what I'd just heard to the project at hand, which was an anti-apartheid record. I called Keith the next day and said, 'Can I come round, I've got a song I'd like to play for you? Maybe you'd like to play on it?' Keith said, 'Sure.' So I recorded an acoustic version of this, my first blues song, with Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood. - Bono, U2 By U2 2006

Pride (In The Name Of Love) 
A great live version from McNichols Arena is a song that always inspires at any U2 show.


Angel of Harlem 
We landed in JFK, and we were picked up in a limousine. We had never been in a limousine before, and with the din of punk rock not yet faded from our ears, there was sort of guilty pleasure as we stepped into the limousine. Followed by a sly grin, as you admit to yourself this is fun. We crossed Triborough Bridge and saw the Manhattan skyline. The limo driver was black and he had the radio turned to WBLS, a black music station. Billie Holiday was singing. And there it was, city of blinding lights, neon hearts. They were advertising in the skies for people like us, as London had been the year before. And it was snowing. - Bono, U2 By U2 2006


Love Rescue Me 
We played two nights in LA. I woke up one morning with a song in my head, 'Love Rescue Me.' Lots of songs arrive in a dream state. At first you think it must be somebody else's song, because it's there, verse, chorus, melody. I had been dreaming about Bob Dylan and I thought it w might be a Bob Dylan song. It's about a man people keep turning to as a saviour but his own life is getting messed up and he could use a bit of salvation himself. - Bono, U2 By U2 2006  

When Love Comes To Town 
I asked Bono if he would write a song for me and he said yes. About a year later, the group was touring in the US and asked if I would open the show, and I said gladly. Bono said, ' I have this song for you.' He brought it out and I thought it was a very deep song for him, being such a young man. But I liked it very much. The lyrics were very heavy... Blues is not prejudiced. You can be any colour to play the blues. Most people say it's a simple music, I won't argue that. I say
everybody can play it, but that doesn't mean everybody's gonna like it. I think U2 did a very good job. I thought it was great and I still do. - BB King, Uncut 

Heartland 
New Orleans had the sweetness of a rotting vine, when the grapes are just on the turn. I loved it, the noble rot as wine loves call it. There's some dark colours, violet and purple. It was raining when we arrived. Danny had this baroque château in New Orleans, a beautiful house with an amazing stairwell. It was a magical place... Danny Lanois had found a world of people as lost to the music as he was; there was this dizziness in the air. That was such a great journey and a great time spent with adam. I'll treasure it for the rest of my life. - Bono, U2 By U2 2006


God Part II
He can't reply, so I'm going to.' And that became 'God Part II,' in homage to Lennon's beautiful song 'God. - Bono, U2 By U2 2006
 

Bullet The Blue Sky
Part of the beauty of this rockumentary is that is captured the feel of a stadium rock show. The soaring guitar in Bullet is a great rock song for a large stadium. 
The subtle knock of the Hendrix Woodstock Star Spangled Banner being played before Bullet is lost on some. The song itself is the band's outspoken view of America's $$ reach into other countries through violence and regime change.

All I Want Is You 
One of Bono's sweet love songs ... it captures the stages of love and is a perfect song for the closing credits. 


No comments:

Post a Comment