Friday, April 22, 2016

Making Love And Music's The Only Things We're Fighting For: Prince



The loss of Prince is the second painful time this year we have been deprived of someone who inspired so many and taught us about ourselves. If David Bowie was our preacher to be original, than Prince was our professor of purple sexuality.


I was very young didn’t understand what Prince was singing about on Purple Rain. I was 8. All I knew what that I liked the beat, I liked purple, and Prince was a cool guy. Bless my parents. As the years went by, and Graffiti Bridge and Diamonds and Pearls gave us hits like Cream and Gett Off, I was a little amazed at how I had gotten away with listen to such suggestive and sexy songs.



But then it hit me. Prince made sex okay. He gave us permission to be sexy with Wendy, Lisa, Vanity and even our Darling Nikki. He made it alright to dance sexy and worship those you desire.


But there was more to Prince than sex. Prince gave us Minneapolis sound, the hybrid mix of soul, funk, and R&B that was the base behind Prince’s sound. Prince was original and was not afraid to take matters of artist respect into his own control. 

Prince took a stand against powerful music companies. From changing his name to a symbol, to taking a stand on the copyrights of his music online, what some see as him being demanding or difficult, has actually been him protecting the future of music and the musicians.


And not very often at all, he sang about the state of our world: 1999, Sign O’ The Times, and Talk to Russia. The end of the worlds, AIDS, and our relationship with Russia during the Cold War were not light topics but Prince handled them with class but also with urgency. 
And let's not forget about the non-Prince songs that Prince gave us. The most popular being Nothing Compares 2 U, made famous by Sinead O'Connor and recently Chris Cornell. When You Were Mine - Cindy Lauper, Manic Monday - The Bangles, and yes, Stand Back by Stevie Nicks are among the few that Prince wrote
I remember roller skating to Prince in my basement. 1999 was my anthem when I moved into my basement (on top of the washer and dryer). Batdance was my song at the dance. 1999 again was the anthem when we awaited Y2K. And New Power Generation was my anthem of power and youth.
Prince's music has transcended centuries and generations of music fans. He taught us to love others and love ourselves. Be sexy. Be innovative. Be true to yourself. And love a little more.  
 
Starfish and coffee
Maple syrup and jam
Butterscotch clouds, a tangerine
And a side order of ham
If U set your mind free, baby
Maybe you'd understand
Starfish and coffee
 


1 comment:

  1. i read a lot of stuff and i found that the way of writing to clearifing that exactly want to say was very good so i am impressed and ilike to come again in future.. cdq

    ReplyDelete