Saturday, October 8, 2011

So Much Music and So Little Time

We're back folks...music filled fall is here. I feel like Chris Stevens from Northern Exposure. First off, getting to see the filming process of Greetings From Tim Buckley each day on my way to work was kinda nice. Being able to say, yup, Jeff Buckley made me late for work again made me smile. It also made me re-load all that Tim Buckley onto my iPod.









This fall brings so much music back to my life -- Felice Brothers, Nicole Atkins, those Umphrey's pretending they are the Allmans and taking over Brooklyn Bowl  for a week (congrats on your wedding Robbie), there was the Big 4 Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer and Megadeth, a little Widespread Panic in Billyburgh, in December maybe some My Morning Jacket, who wouldn't love a nice autumn Ramble with Levon Helm (can Robert Plant show up PLEASE) not going to see Guns N Roses -- ain't GNR without Slash - sorry DJ Ashba I will see you with SIXX: AM. Sadly missed Wilco in the Park -- but nothing will top their April 2010 Carnegie Music Hall show in the Burgh. And all these "old" bands as one of my "young" friends call them: Jane's Addiction, the Cure -- and some up and coming bands like Apophenia are also out there trying to make their mark.

To  get ready for this exciting season of music, I will look back at a highlight of my concert attending career. No, not the Pantera incident (War Memorial, Skid Row / Pantera. My head versus steel toed boot).  June of 2009, I was able to continue chasing the ghosts of Vaughan and Buckley -- and make it to all the concerts that any music fan should see. This time on my list: Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood. I would not be let down.

I had seen Buddy Guy, Crosby, Stills, even Bob Dylan, but Clapton seemed to elude me. Not this time. It was even more of a great night being that Steve Winwood -- the other half of Blind Faith, was there to re-create many of those classic songs. Years of experience, loss, love and just the simple love of music truly influenced the artists that Clapton and Winwood have become. There were no long set breaks, not many words spoken except Clapton's occasional thank you. They played - we enjoyed. I sat transfixed by the closeup of Clapton's hands while he played Layla -- yes, I would not ever say I wish I had seen Clapton. It would not be a regret in my life.

Set List from June 2009 Clapton / Winwood @ the IZOD

Had To Cry Today
Low Down
After Midnight
Sleeping In The Ground
Presence Of The Lord
Glad
Well Alright
Tough Luck Blues
Tell The Truth
Pearly Queen
No Face, No Name, No Number
Forever Man
Georgia On My Mind - Steve Winwood solo
Driftin' - acoustic
Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out
Layla - acoustic version
Can't Find My Way Home
Split Decision
Little Wing
Voodoo Chile
Cocaine

Encore:
Dear Mr. Fantasy


So what is next for the blog??? I will share a new band from Long Island -- Apophenia (please click on their link above to hear their new music - completely original). I will also share some photos I have been taking about music history in NYC -- like pics of the infamous and now doomed Chelsea Hotel. To quote Eddie Izzard -- we tear our history down. I will also take any ideas -- still working on a blog about the whole debate with MP3 and old music technology. Stay tuned!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment